Special Collections Department
403 Parks Library
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011-2140

RS 13/20/0/0

Iowa State University
Department of Physics and Astronomy
News Clippings, 1956-[ongoing]


Descriptive summary

creator: Iowa State University. Department of Physics and Astronomy
title: News Clippings
dates: 1956-[ongoing]
extent: 0.21 linear feet (1 half-document box)
collection number: RS 13/20/0/0
repository: University Archives, Special Collections and University Archives Department, Iowa State University.
language: English

 

Administrative information

access: Open for research
publication rights: Consult Head, Special Collections and University Archives Department
preferred citation: Iowa State University, Department of Physics and Astronomy News Clippings, RS 13/20/0/0, Special Collections and University Archives Department, Iowa State University Library.

 

Access points

People, Families, and Corporate Bodies:

Iowa State University. Department of Physics and Astronomy -- Faculty.
Iowa State University. Department of Physics and Astronomy -- Students.

Places:  
Subjects:

Physics -- Studying and teaching (Higher) -- Iowa.
Astronomy -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- Iowa.
Physics -- Research -- Iowa.

Astronomy -- Research -- Iowa.
Genres: Clippings (information artifacts)

 

Abstract

Established in 1870 under the direction of Professor William A. Anthony, the Physics Department (1870-1891) has since been known as the Department of Physics and Electrical Engineering (1891-1910), the Department of Physics and Illuminating Engineering (1910-1915), the Department of Physics (1915-1991), and finally the Department of Physics and Astronomy (1991-present). Graduate studies began prior to 1881, with doctoral work beginning in 1926. The collection contains newspaper clippings and articles on faculty, students, research, events, and facilities.

 

Historical note

The Physics Department was established in 1870 under the direction of William A. Anthony, Professor of Mechanics and Physics. Graduate work leading to the degree of Master of Science was first offered before 1881. The department was combined with the Department of Electrical Engineering in 1891. Separated from the Department of Physics and Electrical Engineering in 1910, the name of the department changed to the Department of Physics and Illuminating Engineering. In 1915, the name changed back to the Department of Physics. In 1926, doctoral work in applied physics was added to the graduate studies program. Rapid development of graduate education and research in physics began after World War II, when the Institute for Atomic Research was established with Professor Frank Spedding as the Director.  The departmental name was changed to the Department of Physics and Astronomy as of the 1991-1993 university course catalog.

 

Collection description

This collection (1956-[ongoing]) contains newspaper clippings and articles relating to the Iowa State University Department of Physics and Astronomy faculty, students, research, events, and facilities. Not every year has articles available.

 

Related materials

Additional collections related to the Department of Physics are classified under the RS 13/20 record series and can be found through the department's website.

 

Organization

The collection is organized chronologically.

 

Container list

Box

Folder

Title

Dates

1

1

News clippings

1956-1989

1

2

News clippings

1990-2013